I decided that it might be interesting from time to time to post my current thoughts on Bloomington. Over time, years even, it will be funny for me to look back and see how my views have changed, were wrong, were right, and so on. I know it's been awhile since I've written and I promised to be better. It's just things have been nuts and the kids are more hooked to me than ever. They have all this room to roam and do they want to? Nope. They want to follow me everywhere. Sigh.... So I will do my best. I have so many good pictures to post but my usb cable is in a box somewhere---story of my life. For now, here are some current thoughts on Bloomington:
-The weather rocks. I wake up to a chilled house and could spend a couple hours outside in the heat of the day without feeling miserable. Remind me of this come December.
-Grocery shopping could use some help--the girl at Kroger mocked me openly and I was not pleased with the store, prices or customer service. Sniff sniff.
-I wait expectantly for the YMCA to be spectacular. I signed up tonight and the gentleman, David, who helped me was so nice and helpful and seemed so excited to have me in his town as a newbie.
-Bugs. There seem to be large volumes of bugs here. Hmmf.
-Bloomington drivers. No one is in a hurry......ever. To my knowledge, not one road/hwy has more than two lanes on each side. Most of roads just have one. However, cool YMCA guy told me I need to start finding the shortcuts. Sure, I'll jump on that.
-Neighbors. I have met Coralee to my left and Sandy to my right. Very friendly people. While we've been told there are a lot of retired people on the street, we know there are a handful of kids. There is a 15 month old 2 houses down that Wesley could end up becoming buds with. Anton is a 5 year old next door that hopefully Noah can play with.
-Least favorite time of the day: 2-5pm. It seems like such a long stretch to wait for Brian to come home. I'm not used to this 7-5 business.
-General layout of the city: pleasing. I have ventured on a couple excursions and was able to follow a map perfectly. If you know me well, you know this is no small feat. I now know my way around most major parts of the city. I was told to avoid the campus once fall hits---too many one way streets with too many foreign drivers.
-Anticipated highlight: Farmers market. I look forward to going on Saturday. The whole town goes (not just the nature nuts. Oh wait, the whole town is nature nuts!) and families seem to think it's the best thing you could possibly do on Saturdays.
-Favorite alone moment: I've only had one. It was at a big beautiful Target tonight. I shopped alone for 2 hours and it was the coolest Target I have ever seen. Since this is a college town, they have so many cool things for super cheap. As Brian said, I guess it made up for my Kroger experience.
Dilemma of the week: We only get one trash can and they only come once a week. Now how am I supposed to make this work???
Tata for now. I'll try to post pics tomorrow if I can find the cable. Write me, call me, email me, mail me.
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Thoughts on Bloomington
Posted by April Spicer at 6/25/2008 09:20:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Good to see you're settling in - as best as can be expected with such major changes as y'all have made! I just moved my 1-bedroom apt to Lewisville and I'm still overwhelmed with boxes. Take it slow - set manageable goals of adjusting/unpacking/finding your way. Sounds like you're off to a good start.
It sounds like you are doing great! I too hope that the kids on the street can be Noah and Wesley's friends...that would make life a whole lot easier! How is Noah adjusting???
love and miss you
Post a Comment