Monday, September 23, 2013

Don't hate me but......

I'm going to go a week without napping. I know this sounds so shallow and pointless but actually, I'm on a relatively meaningful quest. With the exception of maybe my husband, no one really knows my napping tendencies, so here they are:

-for the last three years, I've napped almost every week day ranging from 20 min to 70 min.
-I do this when my other child(ren) are resting.

That's it. Earth shattering. But I know for some, they find this envious or annoying or awesome. My purpose for wanting to take a break from the napping is in order to DIAGNOSE the napping. Here are some normal reasons for taking a nap:

-physically tired
-ate a heavy meal
-depressed
-Macy (or other child's name) drains me
-sick
-procrastinating doing other necessary things

These are all things other moms would suggest in trying to make you feel better and not guilty about napping. The fact of the matter is, I don't always want to nap. I don't always need to nap, and I'm darned near young enough that I shouldn't be doing it every week day! What I've started to conclude lately as I ponder this whole napping thing is this: I think I actually want my brain to shut up. I'm not tired, I'm not depressed, I'm not full, I'm not sick, I'm not procrastinating, I simply want quiet. Not just the absence of physical noise but for my brain to actually shut off. The only way to do this, is to go in a semi-conscious state. :)

So, in order to test my theory, I am--hold on to your seat cushion-- NOT going to nap this week. So as I sip on an afternoon cup of coffee which I am not accustomed to doing, I thought I would write about my challenge in order to make it more real and not give up. Seeing as how I haven't written a blog post in 15 months, I figured this was more worthy than a random picture of me and the kiddos at the park. :)

2 comments:

Julie Southern said...

You can do it!!!!

Julie Southern said...
This comment has been removed by the author.