Psalm 39
v. 1-8
I said to myself, "I will watch what I do and not sin in what I say.
I will hold my tongue when the ungodly are around me. "
But as I stood there in silence--not even speaking of good things--the turmoil within me grew worse.
The more I thought about it, the hotter I got, igniting a fire of words:
"Lord remind me how brief my time on earth will be.
Remind me that my days are numbered--how fleeting my life is.
You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand.
My entire lifetime is just a moment to you; at best, each of us is but a breath."
We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing.
We heap up wealth, not knowing who will spend it.
And so, Lord, where do I put my hope?
My only hope is in you.
Rescue me from my rebellion.
I will hold my tongue when the ungodly are around me. "
But as I stood there in silence--not even speaking of good things--the turmoil within me grew worse.
The more I thought about it, the hotter I got, igniting a fire of words:
"Lord remind me how brief my time on earth will be.
Remind me that my days are numbered--how fleeting my life is.
You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand.
My entire lifetime is just a moment to you; at best, each of us is but a breath."
We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing.
We heap up wealth, not knowing who will spend it.
And so, Lord, where do I put my hope?
My only hope is in you.
Rescue me from my rebellion.
"Rescue me from my rebellion".... Oh, I could repeat these words all day long.
2 comments:
What's going on with you? What can I be praying specifically? Love you sweet sister!
Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. Nothing major. Just regular ole human stuff. :)I just loved this psalm because I can relate to starting the day out so good and promising God I will do this/don't do that, you know? Then in the end, I see the ugly person I can be and just want him to rescue me. If I could truly grasp how short our time is and how long eternity is with Him, then I would be a lot better off. Thank you for caring about me!
Post a Comment