Tuesday, August 26, 2008

It's the little things.......

that make me miss Texas and our house and our life there. These are going to seem so silly and I would have laughed 3 months ago if someone else was telling me this story. But I have to admit these scenarios all make me miss home. It's so strange how it's the little things.

--I distinctly remember a couple weeks before we moved, Noah and I were playing on the floor in his room. He took a minature Allied truck and stuffed 3 little bouncy balls inside of it. We both laughed at how perfectly they fit in the truck. Then he closed the doors on it and set it aside. Well, that truck was dug out of a bin of toys today as we were looking for some cars to play with. As soon as I recognized it I carefully opened the doors and showed Noah what was inside. The three bouncy balls. Something about knowing that truck was last played with in our old house and those balls hadn't moved---well, it made me extremely nostalgic and sad.

--The other day we ran out of hand soap and I was looking under the sink to see if we had any refills. I found a half used bottle of softsoap and put it on the counter. Just knowing that it came from our other house and the first half was used up there, made me sad. I know, I know, who knew?

--I was digging around in the kids' diaper bag in preparation for the beach and realized I hadn't gone through it in some time. At the bottom were many half eaten snack bags that came from many Wednesday nights at SBC (or SC as they are now called). I pulled them out and threw them away of course, but it made me feel like it was just the other day we were at church, or just last week that I went to ladies bible study and needed their bag.

So there you have it. I still refer to Texas as "home" a lot and Brian reminds me every now and again that this is home. But for now, that hasn't sunk in. It doesn't help that a friend I was getting to know here just found out she's moving back to TX (originally from San Antonio) to Flower Mound. Ouch. I was a little envious I will admit. But Indiana is beautiful and wonderful in so many ways and so dont' think for a minute that I'm not happy here. I'm just living a little in between for now.

Hopefully these little things will continue to get littler and littler and littler till they don't strike a sad bone in me anymore.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish I could empathsize with you, but since I have always lived in the same city, I don't know that feeling. I know things will get better as you feel more comfortable in a church and meet more people. Wish I could be there to hug you.

Diana Richards said...

Man, I miss you and those boys! I need to call you! I am glad there are still some things around that keep you nostalgic...we wouldn't want you forgettin' us, here, now! :) Love ya...take care!

Anonymous said...

Sweet April, Sure am missing you, too. Miss all those great hugs and your eternal smile. You are precious and, wow, what a blessing you will be to those God will put in your life up there. Just tell them you have references to call and attest to your coolness! :)

Kim said...

I completely understand. But won't it be great this time next year when you are completely settled in to read your posts and realize that Indiana now feels like home? Though everyone says that once in Texas always in Texas.