Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Bandaid, anyone?


Ever notice how the purpose of a Bandaid is not as much to soothe the actual "owie" but to ease the emotional pain associated with it? Noah just banged his shin on the edge of the futon and cried so loud for about 15 minutes. He actually told me that he wanted me to call 911. I was trying to explain that it wasn't really cause for the ambulance to come but he seemed rather convinced that it was. No amount of distraction deterred him---even a ready to go bubble bath Brian was preparing. So I made an ever so genious purchase at Target yesterday. Giant Sponge Bob Band-aids. I am not a fan of Sponge Bob and we own nothing and watch nothing with him on it. However, it was the only option for giant cartoony bandaids and sure enough it did the trick. The crying stopped instantly and Noah was fascinated with the giant (seriously) Sponge Bob face that would be attached to his shin shortly. Naturally I told him it wouldn't stick to his leg till after his bath. He happily jumped in and is anxiously awaiting the application.

Wouldn't it be nice if any little hurt, disappointment or sadness was eased with just a silly bandaid? I think I would be covered with them! What happened as we grew up that enabled us to hang onto our hurt feelings or sadness for longer than a few moments? Kids never stay sad for very long and they rebound so quickly. They are able to see the next great thing so clearly and seem to give little thought to whatever tragedy happened just minutes before. I want to be that way. Maybe I'll try it for a day and see what happens. Anyone game?

0 comments: