Sunday, July 20, 2008

Menu Plan Monday and weekend wrap-up


Hello all. I hope you had a great weekend. It was a decent one for us. It's been pretty hot and humid up here. While Texas is HOT, Indiana is hot and HUMID. So an 85 degree day here feels almost identical to a 98 degree day in Texas. Anyway, Saturday morning we headed to The Bakehouse. It's a joint Brian and I love but this time we went to the eastside location instead of the one on the Square. We had a sub-par experience. They were out of yogurt for their parfait (noah's fav), our food was cold, it's overpriced, and they did not serve their house blend that day (coffee). I mean seriously.....on a Saturday morning??? They needed to be much more on top of their game.

So we came home and Daddy and Noah took off to the golf course. Noah recently acquired a putter and a 5 iron and so he was able to practice on a real golf course. Cool stuff. Then we loaded up and headed to the beach (on Lake Monroe). However, much to our disappointment, the beaches are all closed due to high water. All the flooding definitely affected the beaches up here. We are really excited about spending time on Lake Monroe and we'll keep trying before the beaches close for good on September 1. :(

Since we had all the beach accoutrements packed we turned back around and headed to the local pool park. I bought a pass last week and it's really neat. It has all kinds of things for different ages and the boys loved it. Plus, I basically get to sit in a foot and a half of water while gettin' some rays, so of course it works for me too. We all had a good time. Wesley LOVES getting to roam free. We are finding that while he is still very attached to us, he definitely has an independent streak that is growing more and more. He just loves doing his own thing out in public. He was flirting with the mommies and running to and from the pool.

We got home and after naps and showers, we headed to our first invitation to someone's house. I think we were a little nervous but grateful as well. We met the wife last week at church. She was super nice and gave me her number and said she wanted to have us over for dinner. Our kids are similar in age and so it was a nice fit. Anyway, we had hamburgers and conversed over our kids all playing together. It was good........different but good. I totally remember going through this when we moved to TX. The first time we'd go out with anyone, I would think, "Hmmm, are these people going to end up being our BEST FRIENDS????" Most of the time the answer was no, but it took a long time to figure out who we fit best with. Sounds kind of strange, but I know you all know what I'm talking about. The funny part is, we were in TX almost 7 years and some of my close friends are ones I got close to at the very end of our time there!! (Even though they were there all along!) So anyway, the invitation provided a diversion for us and obviously the opportunity to get to know others at our church. We're still not 100% sure that we will stay at Sherwood Oaks Christian Church but I think each week we feel a little more engaged.

Today we went to church and Brian was fighting some kind of bug and so we stayed close to home after that. It is 8:40pm and Noah is playing to his heart's content outside with all his friends. "Friends" are the highlight of his life right now. I'm trying to figure out how to bring him down and make him realize that he can't constantly leave the house to play with friends. It's a hard line to walk with a 3 year old that just got removed from all his routine and friends back in TX. He thinks he is much older than he is because all these "friends" are older than he is. Anywhere from 5-10. But thanks to a lot of older cousins, he fits right in and he's feeling very good around all of them. I'm so thankful for them. But it's going to be a hard reality when they all start school in a month and suddenly they aren't around all day. Ho humm.

Well, here's my menu plan for the week. Remember to stop by orgjunkie.com to view other great menu plan ideas and see the crazy amounts of people out there all posting their recipes and menus. We're all just trying to keep our families alive, healthy and feeling full one day at a time. :)

Sunday: Pasta with summer squash, bread and salad

Monday: Stirfry veggies and smoked sausage

Tuesday: Breakfast for dinner (waffles, sausage, eggs)

Wednesday: Chili Dogs, corn and chips

Thursday: Mini meatloaves, green beans and biscuits

Friday: Eat out

Saturday: Probably leftovers

1 comments:

Tracey Clem said...

Hey sister,

Love hearing about your weekend. I know how hard it is to find your niche in a new place. Sounds like you're meeting some great people though...and sounds like Noah is in the middle of the neighborhood social scene! :)

I know all about HOT and HUMID!! New York is the same way. It makes an 85 degree day feel unbearable!! This week we had a day that was 78 with 98% humidity. Miserable!!

Anyway, enough about the weather. Are you feeling settled in your new home? Did Noah get his orange room? :)

Love you, girl!