Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Bliss of a Hundred Bucks

Tonight I had the most enjoyable experience of spending a few hours out alone.....at Target. Brian got home from a business trip and at dinner surprised me with a couple of crisp hundies that he won at a casino that was on the premises of his hotel. When I went to bed last night, I spoke with him and he was calling it a night and heading to his room---winning nor losing a single dollar at the casino. Obviously some other things transpired after we talked because yes, these were beautiful hundred dollar bills in my hand. I asked him what he was going to do with them.........maybe buy that edger that he had been needing (oh joy!). But he said I could spend it on whatever and he didn't care. We struck a deal and split the motherload.

So off I went to Target after dinner had been cleaned up. I have to tell you, this was the most relaxing, peaceful 2.5 hours I have spent in a loooooooooong time. I know, I know, a Target in a college town? Really? Well, yes, really. It started with me meandering over to the in-store Starbucks. I ordered a decaf non-fat mocha and the young girl told me several times, "it'll be a few minutes". I told her "No worries, I'm in no rush." While she prepared my drink, I stood watching all the people checking out of the lanes and took the opportunity to catch up on fashion. I wished I had a little notebook with me because I would have jotted down some things I saw that might really look good on me. I came to the realization that I'm completely out of the loop and wondered if I even wanted to be in the loop. Some people made looking good so easy. I wanted to be like that. So anyway, the barista and I chatted about the economy and a rumored second economic stimulus check to come in February. By looking at the check out lines, we both agreed that no financial crisis was keeping anyone from shopping at Target, that's for sure. I thanked her and went on my merry, merry way.

I will not go into too much boring detail but I was able to walk around most of the store and score some fabulous deals with not the slightest feeling of being rushed. When I arrived at the cashier, the total that popped up was $100.58. Marvelous. In case you are wondering, I got a couple sweaters, some adorable black flats, a pair of jeans, some headbands, greeting cards, napkins, and a new book. I'm very excited about this new book. It's called The Invisible Wall by Harry Bernstein. It's a true story AND he wrote it when he was 96 AND it's a love story. I admit that even without the hundred bucks, I would have had a great evening perusing the aisles of Target. But getting to walk out of the store with something other than diapers and body wash felt very gratifying. Thanks, my gamblin' sweethaaat!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohhhhh, that does sound like THE PERFECT evening!!! I truly am so happy that you got to do that...awesome!

It's feeling no guilt, shame, do whatever I please with this money feeling that makes it all so wonderful!! I got to do that with all my birthday money a few weeks ago and I decided that it is the "no guilt" feeling that made it so wonderful!! I think you are like me in that we never buy things for ourselves..and when we do feel a little guilty it wasn't "in budget:)".

talk with you soon

Diana Richards said...

That sounds tremendously amazing! I would do the exact same thing. Nothing fancy...just a good old Target! How wonderful! Yeah for a relaxing shopping trip!

Debra said...

Oh what fun to have a little splurge! You'll have to tell me how that book is ... maybe I'll need to read it. FYI, today marks a year that God manifested His promises on earth and poured grace, mercy and forgiveness and a new life on our family! Isn't He cool! Love you, Debra

The Crazy Roots said...

You got a lot for $100! How FUN! I treasure being alone for a few minutes because it's so rare! (thankfully so!)